Saturday, August 8, 2015

Mexico City


I spent two weeks in Mexico City a couple of weeks ago to visit family. The fact that they live so far away and that we can't see eachother often made the time that much more valuable. This trip was also particularly special because it was the first time that all of the cousins were able to be together. My grandparents were really happy about that. 

We went to Polanco which is the Beverly Hills of Mexico City. The section that we went to was owned mostly by Carlos Slim, who is the second richest man in the world. The mall had Salvadore Dali sculptures just in the middle of the walkways. The Jumex Museum was interesting.  They were displaying controversial pieces that I found amusing.

After Museo De Jumex we had lunch at Carolo which had this beautiful balcony facing the Soumaya Museum. This building glistened with each of its mirrored tile pieces on its exterior walls. It is said that each tiled piece is different in size and shape. 

Carolo is beautiful because of its view of the city, but the decorating was gorgeous and masculine like its patrons of business associates drinking Mezcal on their lunch break with orange slices to wash it down.

La Casa Azul is located in the bohemian neighborhood of Coyoacan. This is the home where Frida Kahlo was born and raised and which now houses most of her work and wardrobe.

This exhibit was amazing because the museum directors were able to finally open a locked closet and showcase what was hidden away inside for years.  In that closet were pieces from Frida's wardrobe including her traditional Mexican skirts and blouses as well as her jewelry and back braces. That couldn't be more perfect for me since I love clothes, especially from different eras.

These garments look like bridal pieces that you would find today at Oscar De La Renta or Dolce and Gabbana. I was really in love with this jacket that is knitted up the back with long fur draped across the shoulders, back and sleeves. I'm sure these pieces were considered fashion forward for her time, but Frida was a forward artist and that is why so many people know of and still love her today.

After breakfast one morning we walked the pebbled streets and found a churro vendor. I had this really delicious hot zarzamora churro that was filled with black berries. 

We wondered into this beautiful church just to see what the inside looked like. It was filled with people praying and the melody of a woman singing and playing the piano. 

This espresso shop was inspired by a novel of the same name. I hope to read it someday because it's a love story and I'm a sucker for love stories. 

There are many parks in the city in between busy streets like this one, usually filled with lovers making out because public displays of affection do not seem to be an uprising issue in Mexico. 

We visited the water ways of Xochimilco. I had seen it the last time I was in Mexico, but it is one of my favorite places in the city, so I asked if we could see it again. I love this place because the boats are painted in vibrant bright colors. When the boats fill up the channel and float past you it is a sight to be seen, especially when there are hundreds on the channel at a time. 

Most of the boats are filled with people drinking and eating either food that they had brought with them or that they had purchased from boats floating by.

Homemade candy apples and chips were some of the foods being sold by the vendors. You could also buy foods like quesadillas, enchiladas, esquitas, candy, and beer.  

On the road to Tiotihuacan were these houses painted in pink, yellow, blue, green, and orange along the green hills that made me wonder why the homes in the United States aren't painted in the same hues. I have my heart set on living in an all white house, but I could be into having a vibrantly painted door in pink or blue. 

The ancient pyramids of the Sun and the Moon are amazing. It makes you wonder how the people created this hundreds of years ago without modern mechanical technology that we have today. 

This trip was incredibly special to me and I am so grateful for the good laughs and memories that we shared like when this guy rubbed this black "Love" rock all over our backs, but when it came to be my turn he rubbed it all over my back and then my face. The whole time I was like, oh great now I have millions of tourist germs in my pores.  I'm not really sure what he was saying but I think it had something to do with protection and love so either way it worked out for the best I suppose.  I can't wait to spend time with all of them again because family really is the best thing in life.


Xo,

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment